This blog discusses health and life issues important to women. Content includes info about adventure travel, nutrition, aging, menopause and much more
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Can Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Help Menopausal Symptoms?
Aromatherapy is the use of plant essential oils for healing purposes. Menopause symptoms are caused by alterations in the endocrine system’s production of hormones. Aromatherapy acts by stimulating the activity of specific brain cells that naturally influence a woman’s endocrine system. Aromatherapy directed changes in the endocrine system then lead to relief of menopausal symptoms.
You can design your own aromatherapy treatments by using certain essential oils for each particular menopausal symptom. A great way to use essential oils is to put a droplet of the oil on the inside of your pillow case. If you have night sweats, a wicking pillow case is particularly helpful. Or just massage the oil into your temples, neck or wrists.
Different essential oils are suggested for relief of menopausal symptoms. These may include the following treatments for specific symptoms:
* Anxiety - Use soothing essential oils such as ylang-ylang or lavender.
* Fatigue - Use energizing essential oils like ginger or other stimulating oils such as peppermint or nutmeg.
* Menopausal fear - Use the essential oil of lavender, which has a calming effect.
* Hormonal imbalance - Use essential oils that have properties similar to estrogen to achieve hormonal balance including Spanish sage, Clary sage, and fennel.
* Hot flashes - Use stimulating essential oils in massage including clary sage, geranium, sage, grapefruit, lemon, lime, orange, and peppermint.
* Irritability - Treat with a grounding and balancing essential oil such as patchouli, or a sedative oil such as cardamom.
* Poor Memory - Enhance memory with an energizing stimulate essential oil such as coriander or ginger.
* Mood swings - Treat with a grounding and balancing essential oil such as patchouli or soothing essential oils like lavender.
* Osteoporosis - Treat with a stimulating bath or massage including essential oils such as ginger and lemon.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment