As women enter menopause their bone density decreases naturally. Doctors recommend weight bearing exercise to help keep bones strong. Weight bearing exercise can include walking, running, weight lifting or strength yoga as a few of the options. When we maintain a regular exercise program, we not only build our bones, but help ourselves to feel better both physically and mentally.
If you are new to exercise, start with a program of 30 minutes every other day. Gradually you can begin to exercise everyday for peak weight bearing exercise benefit. If weight lifting is your choice of exercise, it is best to alternate with walking, running or yoga to give your body a rest in between.
- Over time weight bearing exercise will reduce your body fat, increase your lean muscle mass so you burn calories more efficiently.
- Exercise will increase bone mass especially during menopause . By stressing your bones, strength training increases bone density and reduces the risk of osteoporosis. If you already have osteoporosis, strength training can lessen it’s impact.
- By improving muscle tone, you can reduce your risk of injury. Building muscle protects your joints from injury. It also helps you maintain flexibility and balance.
- Exercise increases energy and stamina. Some people believe exercise will tire them out, but when you exercise your body begins to work more efficiently, so you feel more energized throughout the day.
- It improve your sense of well-being. Strength training can boost your self-confidence, improve your body image and reduce the risk of depression. Exercise increases the serotonin levels in the brain which in turn create an internal sense of well-being.
- You'll get a better night's sleep. People who exercise regularly tend to sleep better at night. Those pesky menopausal symptoms like hot flashes and night sweats may not bother you as much if you are sleeping more soundly.
I definitely recommend walking. Its a great start to losing weight. Once you make it a routine it become hard to let it go. I've been doing it for a few weeks now and i feel great. I'm a little bit over weight and can use all the help i can get so i recently purchased these bike shorts that help reduce weight. i've been wearing them for about 3 weeks and have lost 2 inches off my waist. If you want to take a look go to fitandsharp.com and take a look. Hope this helps some one out.
Post a Comment